I’ll be turning 40 in less than 6 weeks. I’m excited to enter a new year (2015!) and a new decade (my 40s!). For some reason, I’m excited to turn 40. Eager to see how my life unfolds from that point forward.
I’ve been thinking a lot about what works for me and what doesn’t, and the gift that growing older gives. As I think about entering a new phase of my life, I know how I want my life to feel. Goals and excessive planning have little interest for me. In my opinion, people set goals for desired feelings in the future, that are completely possible in the present. I don’t believe in setting goals, I believe in setting up an environment to foster feelings.
This month, I decided to get a head start on the new year and create a daily practice that I will work to maintain throughout the year. The purpose of this practice is to create the ideal day, that fosters ideal feelings, that evolves into an amazing year, and adds up to a extraordinary life.
I have a few things on my list that are always keys to feeling my best. I haven’t designed my perfect day yet, so I’ll just share with you a few of the things that I am planning on incorporating into my daily mix & plan.
These are in no special order, I’m listing them randomly.
- Waking up early, when the morning is silent & fresh.
- Drinking plenty of water, 1 – 2 liters during the day.
- Exercising & deep breathing first thing in the morning.
- Having liquid meals, especially green smoothies & juices.
- Meditative & reflective moments, time taken for stillness in action.
- Being creative & self-expressed in all that I do.
- Eating a nourishing whole-food homemade vegan meal.
- Taking care of what is most important, living my priorities.
- Sharing my work and myself with others openly.
- Maintaining a neat, minimal & organized home environment.
- Getting fresh air in my lungs & warm sunrays on my face.
- Being honest with myself & others, living my truth.
When that list is a part of my day, I have a great day! I feel great, I have great energy, and I go to bed reflecting on a day well spent — eager to do it all again the next day.
In the next few days, I am going to design a daily practice, a step-by-step routine, that I will follow for 2015. It doesn’t matter to me that each day goes as written. What does matter to me is that I am living my values and setting standards for myself. I want a great life, and it all starts with a great day — over & over, becoming better & better, getting sweeter with time.
What are you like on your best days? What are you doing? What does it feel like? What usually starts it or sparks it? Is there a way that you can make it a daily habit or practice? What would a dedicated year of those activities & feelings give you? How would it change you? Would it be the best year of your life?